Things to Do in St. Augustine, FL
St. Augustine, Florida, has a fascinating past dating all the way back to its discovery by the Spanish in 1565. It is the oldest continuously occupied city in the U.S., and is often referred to as the “Old City.”
Before Florida was admitted into the United States in 1845, St. Augustine remained mostly under Spanish rule. Maintaining control of the city was not so easy; it was highly sought after by Great Britain as they colonized America. Throughout its Spanish period, St. Augustine was invaded by the British, raided by pirates, and burnt down twice!
The diverse heritage of St. Augustine has made it a popular tourist destination for travelers around the world. The best way to fully understand the city’s unique character is to experience it yourself.
When you stay in any of our St. Augustine accommodations, you will be close to a wide array of fun things to do. Our guests appreciate the Old World romance and scenic beauty that abounds here. Whether you are interested in relaxing on the beautiful beaches, shopping downtown, going on a tour of the city, or eating at one of the many restaurants near our inn, we guarantee you’ll find countless things to do in St. Augustine.
Enjoy the Many Fun Things to do in St. Augustine
Take a Tour of the City
If you feel like there’s so much to see and not enough time, consider taking one of the many tours around town! Tours are a great way to learn about the history of St. Augustine from guides who know it best.
- Old Town Trolley Tour: Without a doubt, this is one of the most popular tours in town. If you purchase your admission directly from Agustin Inn, you’ll have the option to get a three-day ticket. This hop-on, hop-off tour goes to 23 stops, so you’ll be able to easily fill your days by visiting all the fun attractions on the route.
- Tour the city at night by taking a ghost tour!
- Enjoy a romantic carriage tour.
- Book passage on one of the amazing sunset sails. The famous Schooner Freedom Sunset Sail is one of our add-on attractions.
Visit a Museum or Historic Site
It should come as no surprise that the Nation’s Oldest City is home to many fascinating and educational museums and historic sites. Best of all, many of these sites are just a short walk from Agustin Inn. Check out our blog to get a full list of our picks for the best historic houses, sites, and museums in St. Augustine, FL.
If you’re traveling with kids 12 and up, consider stopping by these exciting attractions!
- Potter’s Wax Museum: Did you know that St. Augustine is home to America’s oldest wax museum? It’s true! Potter’s Wax Museum was founded in 1948 by George Potter. Today, visitors can take a picture with the wax models of historic figures, celebrities, athletes, and more.
- St. Augustine Alligator Farm Zoological Park: The St. Augustine Alligator Farm Zoological Park is the only facility in the world with all 24 currently recognized species of crocodilian! They also house lemurs, native bird species, and many more exotic creatures. Be sure to try Crocodile Crossing, their zip line obstacle course that gives you an amazing view of the park.
- Ripley’s Believe it or Not: Do you believe? Check out the bizarre exhibits at this famous attraction. In total, there are more than 800 things to see. Best of all, it’s just a six-minute walk from Agustin Inn!
- St. Augustine Wild Reserve: Take a walk on the wild side when you visit the St. Augustine Wild Reserve. Tours of the facility are available every Monday, Wednesday, and Saturday at 2:00 p.m. Be sure to plan ahead, as you’ll need an appointment.
Dine at a St. Augustine Restaurant
Our quiet city is home to some of the best restaurants in the world. With our mix of Spanish, British, Cuban, and American cuisines, plus some of the freshest seafood around, you won’t have to search far to find something delicious to eat. Take a look at our guide to restaurants in St. Augustine!
Shop ‘Til You Drop
Head to St. George Street, a pedestrian-only thoroughfare located just a short walk from Agustin Inn, to enjoy hours of shopping! You never know what you’ll find at these boutiques and stores. Here are a couple of our picks for St. George Street shops.
Enjoy the Great Outdoors
Spend Time on the Beach
St. Augustine isn’t just known for its fascinating history. It’s also known for its gorgeous beaches! Catch the St. Augustine Beach Bus Shuttle from Old Town Trolley Tours and spend a day in the sun!
Take a Day Trip to Anastasia State Park
If you’re looking for the perfect place to enjoy hiking, biking, and beach fun, all in one gorgeous location, visit Anastasia State Park. It features four miles of beautiful beaches, marshes, and hammock preserves. You can rent a paddleboard for some beach time fun or rent a kayak or canoe and explore Salt Run, the estuarine tidal marsh. Bicycles are also available to rent here. Check out the Ancient Dunes Nature Trail, a loop that is ideal for visitors who would like to take an easy walk. Stop by the Coquina Quarry while you’re here. This archeological site was once the place that housed the very coquina rocks used to build the Castillo de San Marcos!
Free Things to do in St. Augustine
Enjoy St. Augustine on a budget! Here are some of our suggestions for free things to do in St. Augustine.